Friday, March 28, 2014

10 (8) Page Book [Finished]







I based my project off of the Of Mice & Men album Restoring Force. I used 6 of the songs from the album as well as making a front and back cover. The front cover is very similar to the album artwork: 


The back cover contains the list of songs on the album (not all were used in the book). There is a themes of the aesthetic of the album such as oceans, shells, and movement. I implemented a lot of these into the different pieces of the booklet. Each page for each song represents the song's emotion and relate to the title of the song. I used a lot of motion blurs and text arches in order to express some of the feelings of movement. For the songs that were more aggressive and heavy, I used more of these effects, and the gentler songs had less of them. I also used a balance of black and white and color on the pages (3 vs 3) to express the balanced feeling of the album. I think the highlights of the booklet were the front cover; where a mistake with which layer to put a brush tool on resulted in the interesting shadow effect of a couple of the words, and the 'Glass Hearts' page; which I feel is very balanced and enjoy the overall design of it. That page had two versions originally because I couldn't decide between a lighter one or a darker one. This was the lighter design:

I felt that the darker piece represented the darker feel of the song and also just thought it visually looked better, so that is why I chose it. Overall I am happy with this project and how it turned out, although if I could do it again I would implement the use of the grids in InDesign more.

No comments:

Post a Comment